Security

 The other day I re-watched the movie “Miss Congeniality” . The character played by Sandra Bullock, Gracie, is presented with the question of what she wants most. Her classic, expected response of world peace, always makes my eyes roll. Until the other day.

Pandemic, racism, politics, and the list goes on, fill me with unrest. I’d like to say the unrest comes from the wrongness going on, but honestly, I think it’s more because of the instability those situations create in my life. Truth, I like being comfortable.


In my daily Bible study, I’ve parked myself in Genesis chapter 6-9, Noah’s story. The beginning of Genesis 6 states God’s displeasure over the spiritual condition of man. Less than 1,500 years after the creation of man, there was no world peace (See Extra Noah Information at the end of this post.) Everyone and everything was so consumed by sin God chose to destroy it. Except for Noah.


“The Lord observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and he saw that everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil. So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart. And the Lord said, “I will wipe this human race I have created from the face of the earth. Yes, and I will destroy every living thing—all the people, the large animals, the small animals that scurry along the ground, and even the birds of the sky. I am sorry I ever made them.” But Noah found favor with the Lord.”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭6:5-8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

https://www.bible.com/116/gen.6.5-8.nlt


Let’s do some imagining.

People lived much longer back then, Noah lived 950 years. The thought of doing the same basic routine for hundreds of years sounds unmotivating. Of course the word “speed” for them may have produced visions of seeing cheetahs or chasing rabbits instead of Jimmy John’s speedy delivery, or 5G, so their lives may have not been so hurried, but still!

I know how grumpy I can get after a few days of boredom especially when focusing on myself. During the isolation part of this pandemic, I had to discipline my mind, focus on God, and live with intention.  When I didn’t, I found myself picking fights with my husband just to change things up. You with children at home must be pulling your hair out! Imagine living for 800-900 years! I’m not saying God’s first plan of living long was wrong. No, it was necessary for accurate recorded history, plus it shows God’s incredible desire for people to turn to Him. Eight hundred years provides a ton of second chances! But wickedness increased. Wickedness produces violence, fear and tyranny, not peace and security.


God’s tolerance ran out. He develops a plan of action and sets a date.

“Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.””

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭6:3‬ ‭ESV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/59/gen.6.3.esv


“Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.””

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭6:3‬ ‭NLT‬‬

https://www.bible.com/116/gen.6.3.nlt


(Some Bible versions refer this to the amount of days from Noah’s call to build the ark to the destruction by flood.  Others make it sound like human life expectancy was shortened. Looking ahead in Genesis, both views sound possible. However people still lived to 200-400 years old for quite a while after the flood. Shortened life expectancy wasn’t immediate.)


Back to present time. 

God hasn’t forgotten us. Our world is a mess but many around us know and love God. We’re not like Noah, we aren’t alone. We have each other and even greater, the Holy Spirit. 

“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.”

‭‭John‬ ‭14:16-17‬ ‭NLT‬‬

https://www.bible.com/116/jhn.14.16-17.nlt


Where do I find security?


In the pandemic, am I believing God is in control? Am I living in fear waiting for salvation from a vaccine? Who enables a vaccine to be discovered and work?


God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him. The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.”

‭‭John‬ ‭1:1, 3-5‬ ‭NLT‬‬

https://www.bible.com/116/jhn.1.1,3-5.nlt


With racism, where am I finding my value and where do I find value in others? Am I pointing fingers at those around me when, if I evaluate myself, I see I’m doing the same thing and justifying myself as right or deserving?


“This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:22-24‬ ‭NIV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/111/rom.3.22-24.niv


“But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.””

‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭16:7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

https://www.bible.com/116/1sa.16.7.nlt


Amidst our political controversies, who am I trusting for control? I know I'm responsible to standing for and promoting good, but do I trust God enough to allow Him to do the work instead of manipulating or fighting about what seems right to me? Am I judgmental towards people who view situations from a different angle? Am I reflecting Christ’s self-sacrifice when faced with opposing views?


“I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else—not only in this world but also in the world to come. God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church. And the church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself.”

‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭1:19-23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

https://www.bible.com/116/eph.1.19-23.nlt


Yes, I long for world peace but sin, mine, yours and the worlds, stands in the way. No earthly solution will bring peace, only Christ. Fear, prejudice and desire for control aren't from God instead He is the giver of power, love and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7).

Praise be to God who longs for a relationship with us! He made a way through Jesus. 


Where can we find security?


“And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭4:8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

https://www.bible.com/116/php.4.8.nlt

Even if all falls apart around us, the bottom line answer is always Christ,



Extra Noah Info


 I was curious to how much time passed between the time of Adam and Noah so I added the ages of those listed in chapter 5’s genealogy. Though I’m no theologian, it appears 1,056 years passed from creation of Adam to the birth of Noah. If we take Noah being born in year 1056 and subtract Adam’s life years, they missed visiting in person with each other by only 125 years. (Long lives equal more accurate recorded  history.)

How about other Godly men that lived during the time of Noah? Wouldn’t it‘ even been likely Noah’s dad Lamech followed Yahweh? How about Methuselah who lived 969 years?


Time Table of Noah

-Lamech, Noah’s father, died approximately 5 years before the flood. I discovered this by doing the math, answersingenesis.org supports this.

-Methuselah’s is believed to die the same year as the flood but not in the flood. Controversy about his name's meaning exists. Some think it could be prophetic because his father was Enoch who “walked with God” and never died (Genesis 5:23-24). In Hebrew, his name contains the word death. Methuselah’s entire name would mean “man of the dart or sword”. In the New Testament Greek it means “when he dies, there shall be an emission”. Regardless, Noah had his father’s and great grandfather’s spiritual and physical help in building the ark as well as that of his sons. God’s graciousness in providing this support for Noah encourages me.

-Sometime around Noah’s 480th year God calls him to build an ark. (Based on the following verses.)

-In Genesis 5:32 the Bible records Noah had his sons after he turned 500 years old (mind blowing).

-Genesis 6:3 tells us God declares He will put up with humans and their sin for only another 120 years; people were very wicked. 

-Genesis 7:6,11 records Noah’s age as 600 when the flood started.

-We know Noah has a birthday on the ark because Genesis 8:13 says Noah is 601 years old when Noah removed the covering from the ark and saw the surface was dry.

Comments

Popular Posts