Days of Change

The runner lines up in her starting block.  Nervous anticipation vibrates inside making the countdown long!  Wait for the gun, breathe, focus… Bang! 
Oh shoot her start was weak! 
Bang!
A false start? Oh good she gets a second chance!

There’s few times in life when we get second chances. Track meets offer a few but often second chances hide in new situations.  Entering the empty nest phase of life and moving are two big start overs I’ve experienced. The Covid virus isolation provides an opportunity for another.

My introverted self doesn’t mind the “stay home, wear stretch pants part”.  My extroverted self is going a little nuts. I need people!
I’m so grateful for my neighborhood!  I can go outside and talk (or kinda yell) to my neighbors and we’re well over 20’ apart!  Seeing families out walking, or playing together in their yards makes my heart smile. 
My prayer is that this isolation will last long enough for families (parents and children) to get through the “you’re overwhelming me” phase and into “you’re a really cool person and I like being with you” phase. 

Isolation will pass.

Do I want my life to look the same as it did before isolation? 
I can’t say the fruit of the Spirit: (Galatians 5:22-23) was my bright, shiny attitude. Frustrated and overwhelmed fits better. I need to make some changes.  What?

I’ve been pestering God with that question.
God answered me with some questions which may help you also in your choice making . 

-What motivates you to get up in the morning?  (This answer is something other than your energetic children unless it’s your joy over them motivating you.)
-Is there something you dread doing?  (Cleaning bathrooms didn’t count, I tried.)
-What’s preventing you from quitting the dreaded thing?
-Are your reasons based on fear of God or on fear of man?
-In what situation do you and I (God) have the most fulfilling times together?

For me, turning isolation into an opportunity for a second chance comes down to trust and obedience.  When honest with myself, I see fillers I’ve added which just cause busyness. I don’t like disappointing people but hope isn’t found in me but in God.  Overcommitment doesn’t reflect God well.
  
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:36-38‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Comments

Popular Posts