Beyond the Porch Swing

Fear

Do you have a dormant fear?
I do and it’s beginning to rumble inside me.

What’s my fear?  My husband dying.
I’m getting to the age where some of my friends are losing their spouses.  For some it was sudden and for others, after a long painful journey. That scares me.
My husband and I have had some deep discussions on the topic. The thing he keeps bringing me back to is in whom am I trusting?

I know God is faithful. I know that if God should choose to take my husband to heaven, God will still be with me.  I know that God purposes every day of my life on earth. Not having my husband won’t change that.
Yet I find myself justifying my fear, after all death is a reality.  

Luke chapter 10 gives us a peek into the home of Mary and Martha. Jesus comes to visit. Martha’s a flurry of fluffing pillows, and decorating cupcakes.  Martha has the gift of hospitality. This gift enables her to love the work she’s doing, but also creates self inflicted expectations which her sister Mary exasperates! Martha was counting on Mary’s help!  
Martha’s frustration with her sister likely didn’t start that day.  Mary might have been a daydreamer. Maybe she had A.D.D. issues and often left her responsibilities unfinished, that would be frustrating to a self-motivated sister like Martha. We’re not told exactly what bugged Martha about her sister but we know both Martha and Mary were sinful.  That day and at that moment all Martha could see was the annoying side of Mary.

Jesus’s response is interesting.

Jesus acknowledges Martha’s hurt but reminds her there is only one thing needed,   Himself. It seems His answer did nothing to erase the sibling frustration but in truth it did. Jesus presented a choice, Martha’s own perspective or His. All our frustration and fear is eliminated when our focus is on Jesus.  Mary, though negligent, is prioritizing Jesus. Because of Mary’s choice, Jesus blessed her with His presence.

 “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭11:13‬ ‭NIV‬‬

For Martha, Jesus appreciated her abilities, He created them.  But, like us, her gifts can become her curse when she doesn't know when to stop. Jesus is quicker than Mary Poppins with clean up so Martha could’ve taken a seat.  As for food,, maybe Jesus wanted to show His love for them and surprise them with a miracle supper! Martha’s prep work was taking that privilege from Him. Speculation, but who knows?

“However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived” — the things God has prepared for those who love him—”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭2:9‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/1co.2.9.niv


All our frustration and fear is eliminated when our focus is on Jesus.



How does this story relate to fear?
What area am I, like Martha, trying to manipulate in order to avoid my fear? Am I so busy preparing to prevent my fear that I’m missing Jesus?  Yes we need to be wise and prepare for the future, but is my preparation becoming a false god? False god’s provide unstable trust. Where am I putting my trust?

“Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭19:21‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/pro.19.21.niv

God doesn’t always call us to do what is practical. The Bible is full of stories where God has people doing strange things, just read the book of Genesis. God’s jaw dropping creativity accents every story!  They all would’ve missed out on seeing God’s glory if they'd just been practical.

Some questions To ask ourselves:
- Is clinging to my fear hindering my obedience to God?
- In whom or what am I trusting?
- Who is my God?
- What has God done to prove He is God?
- Who does God say that I am?
- What’s my next step of faith?

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Come and see what the Lord has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire. He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭46:1-11‬ ‭NIV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/111/psa.46.1-11.niv

Comments

  1. Good post, Janet! I like the questions to ask ourselves to help us move past fear. Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts